A blog about bicycling and other misadventures.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Clif Bar 2 mile challenge- modified

I've been hemming and hawing about starting a new household rule. Bicycling to anything less than 5 miles away. So far, I haven't done it. I mean, sometimes I run errands on my bike-- but most of the time, no. Living in Houston is kind of a challenge, since it is not so bike friendly. I think I heard once that owning a Ford F150 is a status symbol, not a BMW.

Poking around the other day, I found a Clif Bar Challenge. http://2milechallenge.com/home.html They want people to bike all their errands that are 2 miles or less. They even help you Google Map the area so you can see all the super cool things you can do on bike. Lucky for me I live in Montrose, a pretty hip neighborhood with plenty of local stuff. The only thing is that I wish Google Maps would help me find the smaller side streets, or bike routes, since I'm not quite ready to tackle cycling on Westheimer or Montrose or other bigger streets.

Here's the deal. Mister is going out of town this weekend. I'm working from home on Friday. I have decided this weekend I'm all bike, all the time. If I go anywhere it will be on bicycle or on foot. (I'd look dumb biking to the bar around the corner.) This is the 3 days that I will see how this works out. It might make me housebound. It might make me thinner. It might make me braver! Besides, I'll make sure to stop at Specs on my way home tonight so I can have some tequila on hand. Margaritas and scary movies are definitely on the agenda! Unfortunately, Mister is taking the camera-- so I won't be able to photo all the interesting sights I will see.

No comments: